Port Expansion Needs Your Help
Even though unemployment figures ticked up in June, Broward County continues to fuel solid job creation, leading South Florida and the rest of the state. In June we added 15,000 new jobs.
Now we need your help to ensure continued expansion. We can add or protect 143,000 jobs by moving forward with Port Everglades expansion. I need you to respond to the US Army Corps of Engineers' Port Everglades Feasibility Report for deepening and widening of our harbor. With your help we can get this approved to move forward and create new employment opportunities further enhancing our economy.
You can submit written comments to USACOE Project Director Terri Jordan-Sellers at Terri.Jordan-Sellers@usace.army.mil no later than August 12, 2013.
Here are some key facts about our Port:
- Port Everglades is a $143 million enterprise earning all of its revenue from commerce and non from taxes.
- Port Everglades is the 3rd busiest cruise port in the world (3.7 million multi-day passengers sailed in Broward County in 2012).
- Port Everglades is the fuel hub for all of South Florida, handling jet fuel for the four international airports (FLL, MIA, PBX, and RSW in Fort Meyers).
- Port Everglades is the number 1 container port in Florida and the 12th largest in the United States.
- Three critical projects at Port Everglades will create 7,000 new jobs regionally and support 135,000 jobs statewide over the next 15 years.
Your Chamber also wants you to understand these additional points which you may use in submitting your comments:
- Supporting Port Everglades expansion is good for my business now and in the future.
- Businesses count on Port Everglades to remain one of the strongest economic engines in FL.
- We support the environmental mitigation outlined in the Corps report as reasonable and prudent.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, Trustees, Chairman's Circle and general members representing nearly 500,000 employees, thank you for taking the time to respond to this important call to action.