Join Now!

Relocating to South Florida

Vehicle Registration

New residents may apply for their auto tag (or mobile home) registration and a Florida title at any one of the County’s auto tag agencies. Since states have different requirements, please call the Auto Tag Information Center at (954) 831-4000 before you visit a tag agency to insure that you bring the proper documents.

Your Florida vehicle title is processed in Tallahassee and will be mailed to you by the Florida Division of Motor Vehicles. Be prepared to submit proof of required Florida insurance, the driver’s license number(s) of all owners and the color of the vehicle. Contact the Department of Insurance Consumer Hotline at (800) 342-2762 for insurance requirements.

Return to Top

Driver’s License

New state residents who wish to drive in Florida must obtain a Florida driver’s license within 30 days of moving here. U.S. citizens, take your driver’s license, social security card and birth certificate. You may be able to convert without taking a written or road test. You will be required to take a vision screening. Non-U.S. citizens must have an INS or other document of legal presence. Canadians without INS documents must provide proof of Canadian citizenship. Please call your local driver’s license office.

and schedule an appointment. Additional information is available on the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle’s homepage at or call (954) 497-1570 for license offices near you.

Return to Top

Seat Belts

Florida law requires that all passengers in the front seat of a vehicle wear seat belts. Children 6-15 must be belted when either in the front or rear seat of a vehicle. This law applies to all cars, pickup trucks and vans operated on Florida’s roads. Children age five and younger must be secured in federally approved child-restraint devices.

Children through age three must be secured in separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child safety seat. For children age four through five years, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat or a seat belt may be used. For more information or updates on Florida law, please visit the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle’s website at

Return to Top

Vessel Registration

The Revenue Collection Division acts as an agent for the State of Florida in registering vessels, and collects the registration fee for all vessels that are both motorized and “domiciled” in Florida. If these vessels can be used for transportation on navigable Florida waters, they must be registered, and then renewed each year. You will be issued a permanent Florida identification number and a validation decal.

For your first-time vessel registration, you will need to make application for a Florida title or present proof of documentation. Please supply your Florida driver’s license number, or, for company-owned vessels, the Federal Employers Identification number. You will receive reminder notices in the mail each year to renew your registration, they will be mailed to the owner’s last reported address.

Applications for vessel registration and title certificates (original or duplicate) are to be filed by the vessel owner with the county tax collector’s office in the county where the vessel is located or in the county where the vessel owner resides.

Broward County Revenue Collector
815 N.E. 13th Street, Department B
Fort Lauderdale, 33304
Information Center (954) 831-4000

Return to Top

Marriage License

The standard marriage license fee is $93.50 and includes a 3-day waiting period before a marriage ceremony can be performed.

The first form of identification required is valid photo identification issued by federal or state government. The photo identification must have the correct legal name, date of birth and signature of the applicant.

A second form of identification is required if the applicant has been issued a U.S. Social Security number. All identification must be original and contain the complete social security number. Photo-copies, facsimile, metal or plastic reproductions of social security cards or other documents are not accepted. No expired identification will be accepted.

A marriage license or a Civil Marriage ceremony by the Clerk of Courts Office, may be obtained at:

Main Broward County Courthouse
Marriage Division
201 S.E. 6th Street, Room 270
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
(954) 712-7899 Ext. 7842

Return to Top

... More>>

<< Previous Page | Next Page >>